Thursday 11 October 2012

LIFE IN GOAT LAND

At this time of year my life revolves around the goats ...no time for the crafty stuff ...but then if my Lovelies were not having babies there would be no mohair to play with.

The goats have been busy kidding and we have just done the shearing... it has been a hectic time on the farm. Shearing went over three days and this 'old' goatie was looking forward to an early night but my Lovelies decided that my body was needed in the goat shed tonight ...so it's another late one.

A Lovely kidded just on dark ...I put her and bub in a pen, hoping all would be OK but that is not the case. We have kid on a hot water bottle under the heat lamp to warm her up so she can get a drink.

Yesterday in the hecticness (ok I make up words) that follows the end of shearing ...like having a chat & a beer with the shears while settling the bill, getting the goats back into the paddocks, making sure they have food and shelter, seven of the Lovelies kidded.

That was all most unexpected ...obviously shearing upset things a tad because some of these girls did not look like they were ready to give birth. All were penned with their kids ...morning was not happy. Four of the kids died overnight ...all were weak (premmie) and didn't make it to their feet.


Lovelies & Kids in the pen area of my big purpose built goat shed.
 
Well, the Bloke tells me it's time to up to my other home, the hottie & heatlamp take about an hour to do the warm up trick ...so here's hoping we can get this little girl on her feet and suckling.





1 comment:

  1. Ahhh, that's sad. I hope the wee one makes it. Sorry about the others. :-(

    ReplyDelete